About Atlas Immersion Academy
Atlas Immersion Academy is a Language Immersion early education institution that practices the proven technique of Early Total Immersion. French or Spanish is used 100% of the time with the students unless there is an issue with safety or the child’s emotional well-being. The full immersion environment created at Atlas is proven to lead students to greater comprehension and greater use of the second language than partial immersion settings.
Atlas has created two different sets of programs for students of different age groups: Early Childhood Students, and School Age students. Early Childhood students are further broken down into Infants, Wobblers, Toddlers, Early Preschool, Preschool, and Pre-Kinder, and School aged students (children K – age 12) can participate in either After School Programs, or Camp Days that take place during school closures and late starts.
Methodology: Early Total Immersion
Where do Atlas graduates attend elementary school?
What does the research show?
- learning a foreign language comes easily and naturally through play and daily routines
- young children do not experience the inhibitions that adolescents and adults often experience when learning a second language
- young children lack the higher reasoning ability to “over-analyze” what they are learning, and instead absorb what they are exposed to
- young children tend to develop more accurate pronunciation and intonation in the target language than do older children and adults
- In environments where the child’s native language (English, most often) is not prohibited between pupils (thus not belittling the child’s native language or forcing the use of the new language), children tend to have positive attitudes about both the majority language (English) and the minority language (French or Spanish, here)
- When learning curriculum through another language in a total immersion setting, no negative impact has been found to occur on acquisition of core skills (in other words, learning math in Spanish will translate into general math skills).